Public Liability

Have you suffered an injury or been hurt because of someone’s mistake or lack of care?  If so, then you may be able to bring a claim for damages.

Typically, these kinds of injuries can occur in a variety of ways such as:

  • Slips and trips – such as in supermarkets or on other people’s property.
  • Falls down unsafe stairways.
  • Injuries caused by people who are not doing their job properly.
  • Injuries caused by hidden dangers.
  • Injuries that occur because you were not warned about a danger.
  • Unsafe or reckless conduct by other people.
  • Dog bites.
  • Where someone failed to take adequate care for your safety and you were injured as a result.
  • Amusement park and playground injuries.
  • When these kinds of accident occur, insurance companies are very reluctant to make any payments, even for small medical expenses, because they usually do not want to admit fault. For this reason, usually the only way to get compensation is to speak to a lawyer with appropriate experience and expertise in this area.
  • A 3 year time limit usually applies to the claims of this kind, however experience tells us that the earlier you take steps to protect your interests the better. This is because these claims need to be investigated as soon as possible after the accident, when witnesses can be found and their memories are fresh, before the site of the accident changes, and when evidence like CCTV footage might be available, so you can prove what happened to you.

What could I claim?

Damages in these kinds of claim are usually paid in a single lump sum when your case is finalised. The kinds of compensation that are included in this lump sum include.

  • Medical and treatment expenses for the past and the future.
  • Loss of Income – if you cannot work or have lost income because of an injury suffered in an accident, or you are likely to lose income in the future, these losses can be claimed from the insurer.
  • Care and Domestic Assistance – if you require assistance at home because of an accident, or if you are no longer able to care for someone else, you may be entitled to claim for these past and future losses.
  • Pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.


What do I need to do?

  • If possible, you should take photographs of the area where the accident occurred and you should attempt to identify as many witnesses as possible.
  • Speak to an experienced lawyer as soon as possible so further inquires can be made.
  • Talk to the team with more than 45 years experience who’ll stand by your side from day one, and remember, your first consultation is absolutely free so contact us now


We're here to help

Book an appointment at your nearest office

Head Office
Level 3, 299 Elizabeth Street
Sydney NSW 2000
1800 645 099